Saturday, November 10, 2007

The 8th birthday of my first born child


Today is the birthday of my eldest child, Jackson. Eight years ago they sliced me open and pulled his little tiny body out of me - a few weeks premature and less than 7 pounds, with legs that looks like they had been in a circle inside of me, like a Gumby doll. His little face squished, rosebud lips, puffy eyelids, perfect round head, olive skin that soon became yellower with jaundice for a few days...Grandma thought there was something wrong with him. Of course there wasn't...he was perfection in a baby. I started nursing him immediately when we settled into our room and he was a natural - so was I, I guess - no pain, none of the horror stories I hear from other women. I thought, "Wow, I am pretty good at this! Perfect baby, and I can feed him myself!" It was the start of a new life for me. Jackson will always hold that special place in my heart - one person who changed my life forever from the very moment I met him. John has another spot like that in my heart, as does Sulli. But Jackson - ah, Jackson...he owns a place that no one else could ever occupy. He is the person who made me a mother.

No comments: